We stopped at Comiskey Park (I refuse to call it by it's new name) to look for my father's commemorative brick on our way out of town. We left the north side of Chicago in the morning, fought the Lollapalooza traffic through downtown and spent an infuriating hour and a half searching the bricks in vain. I went in to the front office (it still looks the same from when I worked there all those years ago, except for the World Series cup of course!) and while they couldn't tell me exactly where the brick is, they could tell me the quadrant. Supposedly it's in the homeplate section. The bricks are of different sizes and oriented in different patterns making the search more difficult. To pass the time, Nikki took the baby, and Caroline took the camera and took these pictures.
I guess it was good that we didn't find the brick right away and continue home, because we got a call from Peggy that we forgot to give her back her work parking pass so we drove back through the downtown area to meet Joel and Rachel for lunch at the Vienna Hot Dog store. Then, since our schedule was shot to heck anyway, we stopped on Taylor Street for some of the world's best Italian Ice. Yum.
After dinner in Ohio around 9pm, I started to call hotels to look for a place to stop for the night. Who knew that ALL hotels would be booked in Ohio and Pennsylvania along Interstate 80 that night?! So we drove through and arrived home at 6:30 am. What an exhausting trip home - both physically and emotionally. I'm not planning to drive that far again for awhile...


The frustrating thing is I found all these bricks of people I knew when I worked at the White Sox, but I couldn't find my dad. Chris O'Reilly and Moira Foy worked there when I was there. Caroline took this picture - almost every picture she took of bricks had someone I know. WHERE'S MY DAD?!



So frustrated, I didn't want my picture taken (can you tell?) but Caroline insisted.


Caroline is lying on the ground looking up at Nikki reading a retired number plaque. Very artsy...
No comments:
Post a Comment