We're adding a few "new" traditions to our family. New to the Ellerbrock's, but certainly not new to me. It's what I grew up with and I am so happy to pass it on to my girls. They might object to that enthusiasm at the moment, but in the future, they will be glad for it!
After dinner on Christmas Eve, we'll gather at the Christmas tree and the girls will recite scripture the way my sisters and I did every year. It's from Luke, 2:1-14. I wrestled with which translation to have them memorize - the one I memorized from the Clifton family bible is a little different from what we have in our bible, but I went with what we have here so that the girls could look it up themselves if need be. I'm glad I chose that one because it's what was read at mass on Christmas day, and Nicole whispered the whole gospel with the deacon, much to her friends' amazement. (she was sitting with them in the choir)
Anyway, after reciting scripture, they get to open a single present, chosen by us. This is also new to them as we've always made them wait until Christmas morning, but they need a little reward for their hard work memorizing such a long passage. We chose gifts that would be appropriate for our last tradition that we've always done, and that's to get in the car and drive around town before bed to see the decorated houses.
I guess we have more Eve traditions that I originally thought, because earlier in the day, we attended Mark & Claire's annual Christmas Eve open house. They are so kind as to invite a few close friends to join them in welcoming Claire's extended family to their home. Our friends here are much like family to us and we are grateful to have them in our lives.
What a perfect Christmas Eve. (I think the movies are not in order. Scripture first, then presents...)
No comments:
Post a Comment