What a busy Halloween we had, and I'm so grateful it was on a Friday so we could recover over the weekend! This year, Doug and Nikki were shipwrecked and living on a deserted island. That explains the ripped, dirty clothes, and seaweed stuck to them. Caroline was Ariel. We couldn't find an Ariel costume for cheaper than $35, so I told her we'd have to figure something else out. Then we went to the local children's consignment shop, and there was an Ariel dress for $7.00!!! I thought she might balk at it since it wasn't a mermaid outfit, but she immediately said, "This is great! Now I can be human Ariel!" I'm so glad she thought of that since I wouldn't have been able to think that quickly on my feet.
The weekend before Halloween, our neighbors had a fun Halloween party. Then on Halloween, the girls went to school with their costumes. I am a class mom for Caroline's class, so at 9:30am, I went over to set up for their class party. I took Caroline home at 11:15 (her usual time to leave) so that we could eat lunch, and be back at the school for the Halloween parade around the school building at 1:30. She wanted to stay for the rest of the day with her class, and her teacher said that would be okay, so Doug and I hung out in the parking lot for an hour with friends waiting for the 2:30 bell to ring. Once the kids were out, I took the girls to the mall for trick-or-treating with our neighbor Sherry and her daughter Sarah (Julia, age 2, was still in day care)
and Nikki's friend Natalie and her mom, Tressa. We stayed at the mall for about an hour. While we were there, Doug stayed home and carved 5 more pumpkins and answered the door to trick-or-treaters. When we got home, Doug and Tressa took Nikki, Caroline, and Natalie up and down our street. Come dinner time, we had neighbors over and ordered Chinese. They stayed until after 10 pm so my girls were EXHAUSTED. But it was fun. All in all, we think there were about 200 trick-or-treaters that came to our door. We had so many complements on our pumpkins, especially after dark when our porch was all lit up. There were a fair number of people taking pictures of our house. Doug revels in that. Good for him - he worked hard at making the yard (and all of inside!) festive.
and Nikki's friend Natalie and her mom, Tressa. We stayed at the mall for about an hour. While we were there, Doug stayed home and carved 5 more pumpkins and answered the door to trick-or-treaters. When we got home, Doug and Tressa took Nikki, Caroline, and Natalie up and down our street. Come dinner time, we had neighbors over and ordered Chinese. They stayed until after 10 pm so my girls were EXHAUSTED. But it was fun. All in all, we think there were about 200 trick-or-treaters that came to our door. We had so many complements on our pumpkins, especially after dark when our porch was all lit up. There were a fair number of people taking pictures of our house. Doug revels in that. Good for him - he worked hard at making the yard (and all of inside!) festive.
No comments:
Post a Comment