So this being our 3rd baby, I did NOT expect a shower so I didn't even see this coming. My friends were masterful at arranging this without my catching on! In hindsight, I see the signs, but I was oblivious! On Sept 23, I THOUGHT I was going over to Joanne's for morning tea with 2 other friends, which is something we do a few times a month once the kids are in school. We take turns hosting and I hosted the first one a few weeks earlier, so I didn't suspect anything. Doug of course was in on it, though he didn't attend, and when I was about to run out the door to take the kids to school, he said to me, "So, what do you have planned today?" After I told him tea at Joanne's, he said, "You ARE going to take a shower before then, aren't you? Because your hair isn't really working this morning." I was insulted! Indignant! Did he think I didn't look in the mirror and realize my need for a shower? Of course I was going to take a shower as soon as I returned from dropping off the kids! His comment to me afterwards was that since I thought it was only Joanne, Claire and Pam, I might not care what my hair looked like and go as is! Nice.
So anyway, I pull up to Joanne's at 10am, and see all these cars parked outside, and my friend, Sarah, walking up to Joanne's with a big bowl of fruit salad. That was when I realized what was happening since there would only be one reason all my friends' cars were parked there but I only thought there were going to be 4 of us!
It was completely overwhelming! They really went all out and did a great job of gathering friends of mine from all the different groups I hang with, and even though no one knew everybody (except me!), everyone knew at least one other person there so no one felt awkward. The quiches were delicious, as were all the homemade baked goods. Most of us were able to hang out until just after 2pm when it was time to pick up the kids from school. I got some wonderful stuff and very generous gift cards to Babies R Us and Target. The girls had a ball going through all the loot when they got home. They've been playing with the baby toys already. They were especially excited to see items that they chose for the registry! I am humbled.
Here are some unflattering pictures from the shower... (as always, click on it to enlarge the picture, then hit your back button to return to the blog)
Me, after I just walked in and was feeling very overwhelmed and bewildered
Maria and Sherry from the neighborhood, and Claire from Mom's Group. Sherry and Claire are also part of the Game Night Club.
Colleen, Theresa, (both St. James moms) and Maria
Me, Danielle (neighbor), and Theresa
opening the stroller I really wanted but didn't think I'd get
opening a very cool portable bed that sits on the floor
opening a bag of bottle stuff, a toy, and a lullaby CD
looking at the beautiful bunny quilt that Joanne's mom made for me
opening one of several gift cards
more friends
more friends
No comments:
Post a Comment